Tuesday 11 December 2012

…The Mystery of a Murder

This one’s going to waver off the usual beat of my writing and the very purpose of this blog. Believe me, there’s nothing peach, nor lovely about what I am about to write.
Yet, today I’m writing about my lovely moments of “solving murder mysteries” with my dad. How he and I would sit together, watch news channels (several of them on the same night, covering the same story!!), and I would incessantly question him – the what, when, why how?! – about the crimes. It’s about those highly gripping, intellectually stimulating moments of my life when papa and I would make guesses, debate about and explain our differing logic to each other, and finally await verdicts – court sessions after sessions, hoping truth would triumph (but more importantly, the truth would unravel in our version of ways :P)
Some fascinating ones, some still unsolved, and so gruesome; some that keep tinkering and nagging in some corner of your head, itching for you to know the sequence of events, and the truth ~ Here’s one that I find very tragic and very, very intriguing.
I distinctly remember the first time I heard of Aarushi - a 14 year old girl, who was brutally murdered in her bedroom, and how the family’s domestic help, Hemraj was the prime suspect on Day Zero. From then on, how and when her father became the main accused and her mother an ally, I only watched with utter disbelief and over-whelming anger. How a smiling teenager, a victim, suddenly started being portrayed as the promiscuous “fast” girl heavily into drugs and under-age sex, (and I did get suspicious, let me add) left me with no hope in media and the judiciary. So, if a 9th standard kid does a project on drug abuse, she becomes a user; if she uses sms lingo to write emails to her father, she is called “fast”; and God forbid, if she speaks to some boys in class, she is involved in immoral activities for sure. Who cares that Aarushi was a brilliant student, a rather nice looking popular teenager, how she was a potential contender for the post of her school’s head girl, and a normal child who loved dancing.
I agree it is juicier to believe that Dr. Rajesh Talwar walked into her room only to discover Hemraj and Aarushi in a compromising position, and in his fit of rage killed them both. Mumma, Dr. Nupur Talwar then helped her husband “dress up” the crime scene. Fantastic!! Mystery solved, ain’t it?
Well, in my various discussions with my papa on the case, its twists and turns, a few questions always left us both with various enthralling theories. Why were the prime accused Talwars so insistent on Touch DNA? How did the CBI report actually support and then later dismiss the fact that Rajesh and Nupur could have potentially slept through the crime due to the AC sounds in their daughter and their rooms respectively? How were the post mortem reports quickly dismissed and then absolutely contradictory reports drawn up later? How rape, and/or sexual intercourse was completely dismissed in the first report, and then the second (and much later) report spoke about how Aarushi was not a virgin (since her hymen was ruptured – no one thinks dance, cycling or any form of physical activity could do that, do we?), and that her private parts were cleaned after the murder?
These are just few of the very many questions one may ask.
The heart-rending tragedy is that the murderer, whoever it is, remains on the loose.
All one can hope for is that true justice will prevail, and sooner.
P.S. – While I used to, and still somewhere, somehow follow this case, I had stumbled upon this very interesting article. It raised almost all the questions even my mind did (and does till date), along with a story that I thought was showed so intimately the catastrophe and pain of the Talwar family. It took a lot of searching online for me to find this article back again. Do read it sometime if you are interested in this case.http://archive.tehelka.com/story_main48.asp?filename=hub190211THE_HOUSE.asp
P. P.S. - I know my version of this rather tragic story is a bit biased, because I cannot help but step into Aarushi and her parents’ shoes, and think like how my own and known people would. 
…. And yes, the plan is to start sitting with Dad again and watch some news!! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment